Sunday, November 18, 2007

Insiang at the CCP: a case of great expectations


Was it 5 years ago, when I was jogging along CCP when I saw the poster for Temptation Island the play which starred John Lapus? I was curious enough to buy the tickets and watch that night and had a very pleasant experience watching transvestites do the roles of the candidates for Ms. Manila Sunshine. It was so hilarious, witty and the fact that the script was faithful to the original film that even if I get to see reruns of the film on cinemaone, I still feel the the same exhiliration as before making it truly a classic.

Then came Insiang, the play. I was in Manila over the weekend for nothing in particular. So I looked up the list of shows at the CCP and saw the announcement for Insiang. I was excited to be able to be in town when the show was still running. From the airport the first stop was the box office at the CCP and I was dreaming all night of how wonderful the play would be having seen the original Brocka movie.

But of course, I think that did it. I had my expectations set at par with the movie with Hilda Koronel as my muse that as I was seeing the play I was disappointed with the show.

I understand the whole script was rewritten for the stage. I understand that at this point the writer rather than the director has the creative voice. What I don't understand was half way through the show the play was still busy creating character studies of the lead roles that the drama of the story has to unfold in the last fifteen minutes of the play. I felt I was shortchanged with seeing the plot and the lead role unfold that quick. It was like watching Swan Lake with all the other dances hoarding half of the time and seeing Odile the other half of the time.

The play busied itself with creating atmosphere. There were several moments stolen by the supporting cast members as they make their own different Oscar moments on stage. As I see it, the lead role was Toyang's, which should have been the title. They could have advertised this as a spin off of Isiang instead. Pacing was ineffective as her role was limited to either groaning while having sex and screaming at Insiang. Ricky Davao had pa cute moments like when he was explaining why he was who he is, that I am still trying to understand as part of a stage treatment that was way off character. I ended up not hating him. Insiang was given too long a time to be sweet that I did not feel the transformation to a bitter revengeful bitch that I expected. Perhaps because the girl playing the part was miscast as she was too sweet and played the part like a girl from an exclusive school would or the script was not that powerful and challenging enough.

The production design portraying scenes from the squatters area was terrific. I even commented that the stink of mildew of the theater might actually be part of the design. The acoustics were fine except when Pacing are doing her moments when I actually could not understand what she is saying as she contorts her face to equally incomprehensible emotions. Yes there are breast and butt exposures, which I believe is too juvenile. Parang college plays. But if it helps draw crowds to the show, okay lang. Funding a production is indeed a difficult task these days.

If I was not clouded by the great work of the Brocka, I think i would have doubled my enjoyment on seeing the play. My verdict, see the play before you see the movie.

No comments:

The International Breastfeeding Symbol

May sasabihin ako sayo.

May sasabihin ako sayo.
Powered By Blogger