Friday, September 12, 2008

George Benson and Al Jarreau

It suddenly rained at the start of rush hour. And the that part of EDSA outside Megamall was ankle deep in floodwater. Nothing really change in Manila, everything just gets worse. It was difficult to get a cab at EDSA Shangrila willing to take us to the Araneta. The last time I watched a concert there was 12 years ago, a Michael Bolton show. I had a different vision of it then so was when I frequented it when I was a child to watch the circus or Holiday on Ice. This time, the floor smelled of cockroach shit. The seats were badly maintained. The whole place still stark and dark. Like a rundown theater in Avenida. The place really needs renovation badly. Its stuck in the 80's.

Just like everyone in the crowd that night. The dual performance though did not live to my expectations of a show. But my expectations were not meant for such anyway. It was not a production number galore show. The vocalization by Al Jarreau was great but hey, I wanted to watch a concert, I am not in a jazz lounge. It was good that George Benson sang the more familiar songs "In Your Eyes" (I was expecting Regine Velasquez to emerge singing a duet of her ang bagong kampeon contest piece) and "The Greatest Love of All". The rest of the night was disappointing though. I was half asleep in the middle of Al Jarreau's performance and he did not even sang "Spain".

Spotted: Rowell and Randy Santiago. Noynoy Aquino. The Vice-President. Richard Merck. Talk about the crowd. 40 somethings. Proof of aging. Ha ha ha.

No comments:

The International Breastfeeding Symbol

May sasabihin ako sayo.

May sasabihin ako sayo.
Powered By Blogger