Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Myanmar: I hope it stays that way

While shopping for a PSP in Singapore, the salesclerk asked me if I come from Myanmar. How dare them! Not exactly my initial reaction but that was my friend's reaction. "Do those singaporeans know the former name of Myanmar?"

I never took it as a derogatory remark. I have been mistaken for an Indonesian, an Indian, a Malaysian and a native of Myanmar, but never as Filipino. I am beginning to accept that as a people we actually do not have a stereotype. We always conform and eventually do not have an identity.

Going back to the topic. I know it is cruel to hope that the country stay that way, with the military rule and the devastation caused by the recent calamities, only hard hearted persons like me could wish for that. But you see, once Myanmar opens up to the world, eventually the Philippines will be left behind.

Kulelat na talaga and Pilipinas. Once Myanmar gets its act together with a new government and a very active citizenry, Philippines will be the rock bottom of all the growth and economic boom surveys.

Kaya nga sana ganun muna sana ang Myanmar.

No comments:

The International Breastfeeding Symbol

May sasabihin ako sayo.

May sasabihin ako sayo.
Powered By Blogger