Saturday, May 26, 2007

Mario Bautista, MD

In these times, heroes are seem limited to comic books and the movies. I grew up with no heroes. The reason why I never had dreams I could call my own or aspirations of greatness or thoughts of grandeur. I can do with what is and give thanks for extras.

Even when I became a doctor, I never had expectations of greatness. I admired those who are driven, but never understood their need. I was going with the flow. Was it because of influence that I became that or was it because of lack of heroes? All around me I saw that the only solution to being unemployed after medical school was to go abroad. I would then dread cold, loneliness and the rat race.

So I stuck around. Finished residency in Pediatrics and a fellowship and decided to practice in a place where there was nothing of what I use to have. I was different and my need for conformity sometimes got me into trouble. Until someone told me, it does not matter to be different as long as you are doing what you know is right things will follow. I wish I had that advice from the very start.

After a series of events that seemed out of control trigerring a bout with depression, I was trying to come back. Relearn my skills and do what I was destined to do. The good thing I learned from my training was not to expect much and be thankful for little successes. When things go wrong, I still think of the "what if I went to the states." It will be long before that thought would go away. And I hope that would be soon. I don't want to see myself as a failure for a lifetime.

I wish I could say I am on my way home as Mario Bautista does. A senatorial candidate of the recently concluded Senatorial elections. I saw him on television today and was so impressed that he is the first person I have looked up on the internet who is not a celebrity. I share the same beliefs while reading his blog. I share his belief that as a people we should reclaim this country. I thought I was when I joined the EDSA II revolution. I thought I was when I was voting for alternative candidates. I thought I was when I was advocating breastfeeding. I thought I was when I made a decision to stay home. Nothing have changed since. I wish I could justify to myself, why I stayed home. Work and not be properly compensated. Be harrassed. Be humiliated. But for some brief moments of laughter. Some peace and smile on faces of babies who lived when otherwise they would not have, I find my solace.

My mother said everything will come back to you and it does not have to be in form of money. Maybe that was what my father was thinking all along. That greatness is not measured in terms of successes but how many people come to your funeral who are thankful that you have touched their lives. So to Doctor Mario, I hope I have known about you sooner and I would have campaigned for you. You have suddenly become my hero of the moment. Suddenly I know there are others who are willing to make this country proud.

No comments:

The International Breastfeeding Symbol

May sasabihin ako sayo.

May sasabihin ako sayo.
Powered By Blogger